Chronic Mitral Regurgitation : Optimal time to Intervention
AbstractChronic mitral regurgitation is commonly encountered valve disease. In this disease, there is volume overload on the left ventricle leading to left ventricle dilatation and dysfuction. Surgical or percutaneous intervention can improve prognosis, however optimal timing of intervention still controversial. In the past, timing of intervention was based solely on symptoms and left ventricle function. There have been recent advances in our knowledge, diagnosis, and treatment of mitral regurgitation. All of these advances have provided an incentive to change the indication for timing of operations in patients with mitral regurgitation, setting a new paradigm of an early operation before the onset of ventricular dysfunction. In this article we will outline these newer advances and provide recommendations regarding optimal timing of intervention for mitral regurgitation.
2. Enriquez-Sarano M, Orszulak TA, Schaff HV, Abel MD, Tajik AJ, Frye RL. Mitral regurgitation: a new clinical perspective. Mayo Clin Proc. Nov 1997;72(11):1034-43.
3. Fowler NO, van der Bel-Kahn JM. Indications for surgical replacement of the mitral valve. With particular reference to common and uncommon causes of mitral regurgitation. Am J Cardiol. Jul 1979;44(1):148-57.
4. Nishimura R, Schaff HV. Mitral Regurgitation: Timing of Surgery. In: Bonow RO, Otto CM, eds. Valvular heart disease : a companion to Braunwald’s heart disease. Fourth edition. ed. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2009:p.
5. Enriquez-Sarano M, Schaff HV, Frye RL. Early surgery for mitral regurgitation: the advantages of youth. Circulation. Dec 16 1997;96(12):4121-3.
6. Ling LH, Enriquez-Sarano M, Seward JB, et al. Clinical outcome of mitral regurgitation due to flail leaflet. N Engl J Med. Nov 7 1996;335(19):1417-23.
7. Gaasch WH, John RM, Aurigemma GP. Managing asymptomatic patients with chronic mitral regurgitation. Chest. Sep 1995;108(3):842-7.
8. Gaasch WH, Zile MR. Left ventricular function after surgical correction of chronic mitral regurgitation. Eur Heart J. Jul 1991;12 Suppl B:48-51.
9. Ross J, Jr. The timing of surgery for severe mitral regurgitation. N Engl J Med. Nov 7 1996;335(19):1456-8.
10. Schaff HV, Suri RM, Enriquez-Sarano M. Indications for surgery in degenerative mitral valve disease. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. Summer 2007;19(2):97-102.
11. Tamburino C, Ussia GP, Maisano F, et al. Percutaneous mitral valve repair with the MitraClip system: acute results from a real world setting. Eur Heart J. Jun 2010;31(11):1382-9.
12. Feldman T, Kar S, Rinaldi M, et al. Percutaneous mitral repair with the MitraClip system: safety and midterm durability in the initial EVEREST (Endovascular Valve Edge-to-Edge REpair Study) cohort. J Am Coll Cardiol. Aug 18 2009;54(8):686-94.
13. Savage EB, Ferguson TB, Jr., DiSesa VJ. Use of mitral valve repair: analysis of contemporary United States experience reported to the Society of Thoracic Surgeons National Cardiac Database. Ann Thorac Surg. Mar 2003;75(3):820-5.
14. Tribouilloy CM, Enriquez-Sarano M, Schaff HV, et al. Impact of preoperative symptoms on survival after surgical correction of organic mitral regurgitation: rationale for optimizing surgical indications. Circulation. Jan 26 1999;99(3):400-5.
15. Chua YL, Schaff HV, Orszulak TA, Morris JJ. Outcome of mitral valve repair in patients with preoperative atrial fibrillation. Should the maze procedure be combined with mitral valvuloplasty? J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. Feb 1994;107(2):408-15.
16. Grigioni F, Avierinos JF, Ling LH, et al. Atrial fibrillation complicating the course of degenerative mitral regurgitation: determinants and long-term outcome. J Am Coll Cardiol. Jul 3 2002;40(1):84-92.
17. Dion R. Ischemic mitral regurgitation: when and how should it be corrected? J Heart Valve Dis. Sep 1993;2(5):536-43.
18. Grigioni F, Enriquez-Sarano M, Zehr KJ, Bailey KR, Tajik AJ. Ischemic mitral regurgitation: long-term outcome and prognostic implications with quantitative Doppler assessment. Circulation. Apr 3 2001;103(13):1759-64.
19. Grossi EA, Crooke GA. Mitral valve surgery in heart failure: insights from the Acorn clinical trial. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. Sep 2006;132(3):455-6.
20. Nishimura RA, Otto CM, Bonow RO, et al. 2014 AHA/ACC Guideline for the Management of Patients With Valvular Heart Disease: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Circulation. Mar 3 2014.
21. Vahanian A, Alfieri O, Andreotti F, et al. Guidelines on the management of valvular heart disease (version 2012). Eur Heart J. Oct 2012;33(19):2451-96.
PDF downloads: 419
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).