Secretory Phospholipase A2 Tipe II (SPLA II) In Cardiovascular Disease
AbstractInflammatory reactions contribute to the pathogenesis of cardiovascular conditions such as atherosclerosis and ischemic damage in acute myocardial infarction (AMI). Among the mediators involved in inflammation are secretory phospholipase A2 group II (sPLA2-II) enzymes. Though some cells constitutively express Spla2-II, the synthesis by cells such as hepatocytes is typical for an acute-phase reactant. Recent literature suggest multiple roles for sPLA2-II in cardiovascular disease. In this review we discuss the role of sPLA2-II in included that sPLA2-II appears to be an inportant inflammatory mediator of cardiovascular disease.
2. Dzavik V, Lavi S, Thorpe K, Yip PM, Plante S, Ing D, Overgaard CB, Osten MD, Lan J, Robbins K, Miner SE, Horlick EM, Cantor WJ. The sPLA2 Inhibition to Decrease Enzyme Release After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (SPIDER-PCI) trial. Circulation. 2010;122:2411–2418.
3. Nijmeijer R, Willemsen M, Meijer CJ, Visser CA, Verheijen RH, Gottlieb RA, Hack CE, Niessen HW. Type II secretory phospholipase A2 binds to ischemic flip-flopped cardiomyocytes and subsequently induces cell death. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2003;285:H2218–H2224.
4. Van Dijk A, Krijnen PA, Vermond RA, Pronk A, Spreeuwenberg M, Visser FC, Berney R, Paulus WJ, Hack CE, Van Milligen FJ, Niessen HW. Inhibition of type 2A secretory phospholipase A2 reduces death of cardiomyocytes in acute myocardial infarction. Apoptosis. 2009;14:753–763.
5. Nijmeijer R, Lagrand WK, Baidoshvili A, Lubbers YT, Hermens WT, Meijer CJ, Visser CA, Hack CE, Niessen HW. Secretory type II phospholipase A(2) binds to ischemic myocardium during myocardial infarction in humans. Cardiovasc Res. 2002;53:138–146.
6. Nijmeijer R, Lagrand WK, Baidoshvili A, Lubbers YT, Hermens WT, Meijer CJ, Visser CA, Hack CE, and Niessen HWM.Secretory type II phospholipase A(2) binds to ischemic myocardium during myocardial infarction in humans. Cardiovasc Res53: 138–146, 2002.
7. Rosensol, RS and Camejo, EH. Phospholipase A2 enzymes and the risk of atherosclerosis. Eur Heart J (2012) 33 (23): 2899-2909.
8. Niessen HWM, Krijnen PAJ, Viseer CA, Meijer CJLM, Hack, CE. Type II secretory phospholipase A2 in cardiovascular disease: a mediator in atherosclerosis and ischemic damage to cardiomyocytes?. Cardiovasc Res (2003) 60 (1): 68-77.
9. Jönsson-Rylander AC, Lundin S, Rosengren B, Pettersson C, Hurt-Camejo E. Role of secretory phospholipases in atherogenesis. Curr Atheroscler Rep 2008;10:252-259.
10. Singer AG, Ghomashchi F, Le Calvez C, Bollinger J, Bezzine S, Roualt M, Sadilek M, Nguyen E, Lazdunski M, Lambeau G, Gelb MH. Interfacial kinetic and binding properties of the complete set of human and mouse groups I, II, V, X, and XII secreted phospholipases A2. J Biol Chem 2002;277:48535-48549.
11. Rodriguéz-Lee M, Bondjers G, Camejo G. Fatty acid-induced atherogenic changes in extracellular matrix proteoglycans. Curr Opin Lipidol 2007;18:546-553.
12. Hurt-Camejo E, Camejo G, Sartipy P. Phospholipase A2 and small, dense low-density lipoprotein. Curr Opin Lipidol 2000;11:465-471.
13. Hurt-Camejo E, Camejo G, Peilot H, Oörni K, Kovanen P. Phospholipase A2 in vascular disease. Circ Res 2001;89:298-304.
14. Kimura-Matsumoto M, Ishikawa Y, Komiyama K, Tsuruta T, Murakami M, Masuda S, Akasaka Y, Ito K, Ishiguro S, Morita H, Sato S, Ishii T. Expression of secretory phospholipase A2s in human atherosclerosis development. Atherosclerosis 2008;196:81-91.
15. Hanasaki K, Yamada K, Yamamoto S, Ishimoto Y, Saiga A, Ono T, Ikeda M, Notoya M, Kamitani S, Arita H. Potent modification of low density lipoprotein by group X secretory phospholipase A2 is linked to macrophage foam cell formation. J Biol Chem 2002;277:29116-29224.
16. Koenig W, Vossen CY, Mallat Z, Brenner H, Benessiano J, Rothenbacher D. Association between type II secretory phospholipase A2 plasma concentrations and activity and cardiovascular events in patients with coronary heart disease. Eur Heart J 2009;30:2742-2748.
17. Kugiyama K, Ota Y, Sugiyama S, Kawano H, Doi H, Soejima H, Miyamoto S, Ogawa H, Takazoe K, Yasue H. Prognostic value of plasma levels of secretory type II phospholipase A2 in patients with unstable angina pectoris. Am J Cardiol 2000;86:718-722.
18. Mouchlis VD, Barbayianni E, Mavromoustakos TM, Kokotos G. The application of rational design on phospholipase A2 inhibitors. Curr Med Chem 2011;18:2566-2582.
19. Zheng G-H, Chen H-Y, Xiong S-Q, Chu J-F. Lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 gene V279F polymorphisms and coronary heart disease: a meta-analysis. Mol Biol Rep 2011;38:4089-4099.
20. Rosenson RS. Lp-PLA2 and risk of atherosclerotic vascular disease. Lancet 2010;375:1498-1500.
PDF downloads: 65
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).