Atrial Fibrillation in Chronic Obtruktive Pulmonary Disease
AbstractChronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) often coexists with cardiovasculae disease (comorbidities) that may have a significant impact in prognosis. Atrial fibrillation (AF) is the most common comorbid, which is supraventricular tachyarrhythmias uncoordinated and ineffective atrial activation. Emergence of atrial fibrillation if not handled properly associated with morbidity and mortality are high . Exact pathogenesis of AF in COPD but may associated with atrial factors , inflammation ,activation of the renin - angiotensin - aldosterone system (RAAS), coronary heart disease , disorders of the autonomic tone and pharmacological. Complications of AF consisted of thromboembolic events including stroke. The management of AF with COPD should be adjusted to optimize therapeutic result
2. World Health Organization. World health report. Available at: http://www.who.int/respiratory/copd/en/, Accessed on April 9, 2015.
3. Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. Global strategy for the diagnosis, management and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease update 2015;2-50
4. Yunus F, Wiyono HW, Antariksa B, Kusumo DK, Djajalaksana S, Riyadi J, dkk. Definisi. Di: Antariksa B, Djajalaksana S, Yunus F, Kusumo DK, Wiyono HW, eds.i Penyakit Paru Obstruktif Kronik (PPOK). Jakarta Perhimpunan Dokter Paru Indonesia 2011.h.1-2,55.
5. Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. Global strategy for the diagnosis, management and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease update 2014; 48-49
6. Shujaat A, Minkin R, Eden E. Pulmonary hypertension and chronic cor pulmonale in COPD. International Journal of COPD 2007:2(3)272-282.
7. Buch P, Friberg J, Scharling, Lange P, Prescott E. Reduced lung function and risk of atrial fibrillation in the Copenhagen City Heart Study. Eur Respir J 2003; 21:1012-6.
8. Sin DD, Anthonisen NR, Soriano JB, Agusti AG. Mortality in COPD: role of comorbidities. Eur Respir J 2006; 28:1245-57.
9. Bestall JC, Paul EA, Garrod R, Gamham R, Jones PW, Wedzicha JA. Usefullness of the Medical Research Council (MRC) dyspnoea scale such as a measure of disability in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Thorax 1999;54:581-6
10. Laratta CR, van Eeden S. Acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: cardiovascular links. BioMed research international. 2014;2014:528789
11. Jones PW, Harding G, Berry P, Wiklund I, Chen WH, Leidy NK. Development and first validation of the COPD assessment test. Eur Respir J 2009;34:648-54.
12. Zoni-Berisso M, Lercari F, Carazza T, Domenicucci S. Epidemiology of atrial fibrillation: European perspective. Clinical epidemiology. 2014;6:213-20.
13. Fuster V, Ryden LE, Cannom DS, Crijns HJ, Curtis AB, Ellenbogen KA, et al. Guidelines for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation. ACC/AHA/ESC 2006.
14. January CT, Alpert JS, Cigarroa JE, Conti JB, Ezekowitz MD, Field ME, et al. Guidelines for the management of patirnts with atrial fibrilation. AHA/ACC/HRS 2014.
15. European Heart Rhythm A, European Association for Cardio-Thoracic S, Camm AJ, Kirchhof P, Lip GY, Schotten U, et al. Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation: the Task Force for the Management of Atrial Fibrillation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). European heart journal. 2010;31(19):2369-2429.
16. Gutierrez C, Blanchard DG. Atrial fibrillation : diagnosis and treatment. Am Fam Physician.2011;83(1):61-68.
17. Shih H, Webb CR, Conway WA. Frequency and significance of cardiac arrhythmias in chronic obstructive lung disease. Chest 1988; 94:44-8.
18. Yildiz P, Tukek T, Akkaya V, Sozen AB, Yildiz A, Korkut F, et al. Ventricular arrhythmias in patients with COPD are associated with QT dispersion. Chest 2002; 122:2055-61.
19. Asad N, Johnson VMP, Spodick DH. Acute right atrial strain: regression in normal as well as abnormal p-wave amplitudes with treatment of obstructive pulmonary disease. Chest 2003; 124:560-4.
20. Schena M, Clini E, Errera D, Quadri A. Echo-doppler evaluation of left ventricular impairment in chronic cor pulmonale. Chest 1996; 109:1146-51.
21. Guo Y, Lip GYH, Apostolakis S. Inflammation in atrial fibrillation. Journal of the American Collage of Cardiology 2012;60:2263-70.
22. Andreas S, Anker SD, Scanlon PD, Somers VK. Neurohumoral activation as a link to systemic manifestations of chronic lung disease. Chest 2005; 128:3618-24.
23. Anand IS, Chandrashekhar, Ferrari R, Srama R, Guleria R, Jindal SK, et al. Pathogenesis of congestive state in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Circulation 1992; 86:12-21.
24. Sin DD, Man SFP. Why are patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease at increased risk of cardiovascular disease? Circulation 2003; 107:1514-9.
25. Stein PK, Nelson P, Rottman JN, Howard D, Ward SM, Kleiger RE, et al. Heart rate variability reflects severity of COPD in PiZ ?1-antitripsin deficiency. Chest 1998; 113:327-33.
26. Incalzi RA, Pistelli R, Fuso L, Cocchi A, Bonnetti MG, Giordano A. Cardiac arrhythmias and left ventricular function in respiratory failure from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Chest 1990; 97:1092-7.
27. Mehra R, Benjamin EJ, Shahar E, Gottlieb DJ, Nawabit R, Kirchner HL, et al. Association of nocturnal arrhythmias with sleep-disordered breathing: The Sleep Heart Health Study. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine. 2006;173(8):910-6.
28. Shibata Y, Watanabe T, Osaka D, Abe S, Inoue S, Tokairin Y, et al. Impairment of pulmonary function is an independent risk factor for atrial fibrillation: the Takahata study. International journal of medical sciences. 2011;8(7):514-22.
29. Van der Hooft CS, Heeringa J, Brusselle GG, Hofman A, Witteman JCM, Kingma JH, et al. Corticosteroids and the risk of atrial fibrillation. Arch Intern Med 2006; 166:1016-29.
30. Huerta C, Lanes SF, Garcia Rodriguez LA. Respiratory medications and the risk of cardiac arrhythmias. Epidemiology. 2005;16:360-366.
31. Salpenter SR, Ormiston TM, Salpenter EE. Cardiovascular effects of ?- agonists in patients with asthma and COPD: a meta analysis. Chest 2004; 125:2309-21.
32. Loukeri AA, Kampolis CF, Taksis I, Loukeri PSN, Tzagaraki A, Kythreotis P. Inhaled beta-2 agonist and beta blokers in patients
Jurnal Kardiologi Indonesia
110 Jurnal Kardiologi Indonesia • Vol. 36, No. 2 • April - Juni 2015
with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and cardiovascular comorbidities: therapeutic dilemmas, myths and realities. Pneumon 2013, 26(1):59-74.
33. Pisters R, Lane DA, Nieuwlaat R, de Vos CB, Crijns HJ, Lip GY. A novel user-friendly score (HAS-BLED) to assess 1-year risk of major bleeding in patients with atrial fibrillation: the Euro Heart Survey. Chest. 2010;138(5):1093-100.
34. Eikelboom JW, Weitz JI. Update on antithrombotic therapy; new anticoagulants. Circulation.2010;121:1523-1532.
35. Camm AJ, Lip GYH, Caterina RD, Savelieva I, Atar D, Hohnloser SH, et.al. Focused update of the ESC Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation. European Heart Journal.2012 (33): 2719-2747.
36. Huang B, Yang Y, Liang Y, Zhang H, Tian L, Shao X, et. al. Clinical charactersitics and prognostic significance of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in patients with atrial fibrillation: result from a multicenter atrial fibrillation registry study. Journal Am Med Dir Assoc.2013;15(8):576-81.
37. Shi X, Li H. Anticoagulation therapy in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in the acute exacerbation stage. Experimental and therapeutic medicine. 2013 (5): 1367-1370.
PDF downloads: 65
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).